The year that is 2011 draws to a close. Frankly, I’ll be grateful for it to finish. 2012 looks much more promising.
It’s coming up to a very busy time for me so I have decided I will write this and then write only one or two more short posts until January. I have a couple of posts in draft form but am not sure I’ll get the time to finish them. There’s too many things to do at the moment. Also, I still have some comments to which a reply is needed; I’ll get to them soon.
I included both Christmas and Hannukah as these are the only big celebrations/holidays I know of for our loose-knit blogging community. If you subscribe to a more obscure religion, or none at all, or I’ve missed an obvious one, my apologies.
On Friday, it will be nine months to the day that I first posted on this site. I had an identical blog on Blogspot for a while. It wasn’t long before I decided that WordPress was a better forum for my waffling and shut down the Blogspot one.
I have little idea how blogs compare except for the few people that include some stats on their home page. For a long time, I didn’t know about “Site Stats” and still don’t look at them very often. For the curious, the competitive, and the curators of all things mathematical, here are some end-of-year statistics for you to draw your own comparisons…
So far, this blog has:
– Drawn about 60 subscribers by email and about 20 by RSS feed
– Been viewed just under 10,000 times
– Been viewed 212 times on its busiest day (November 2011)
– Included around 130 posts
– Included some guest posts with Lady E
– Accepted over 1200 comments (of which 400 are my own replies to comments — I’m a big mouth!)
It has also:
– Covered a lot of ground without including any fictional content that I can recall
– Created no online arguments that I can recall (to my surprise)
– Granted me a creative outlet for the woes of the year and for writing generally
– Been a helpful, amazing, and supportive forum for coping with separation and impending divorce
The most popular posts are (in descending order):
– “About Me”
– “Shutting up, or switching modes, or hiding in the shadows”
– “My Background” (This page has now been deleted)
– “Getting Dumped – Part 2 of 2” (this one includes my now-infamous reference to a graph!)
– “It’s a modern world, and it ends by e-mail”
Sometimes other blogs brighten my day and I hope that most of my posts make a difference to at least one person somewhere. This blogging exercise has taught me something new about what we can achieve when we collaborate and learn from each other. Many of you have taught me more than you realize this year. And I’m still listening and learning.
Finally, this blog has given me some very interesting new friends, scattered around the world. It’s a shame we can’t all meet somewhere for a party. I think we would all have a *great* evening!
If I don’t make contact again beforehand, I hope you enjoy the rest of the year, have fun or make peace with your families and friends, and generally be optimistic about the upcoming year. I look forward to everything…except hearing “Jingle Bells” even one more time. Ever. I hate that song. Alas, even in the USA, it’s illegal to shoot up shopping mall speakers.